Thursday, March 22, 2012

A Rap About Rheumatoid Arthritis?

Yeah, you read that right. It turns out D.O.P.E. Music has a song/rap called "Strong" that is about living with rheumatoid arthritis. You can hear the song here. Here are a few of the lyrics:
Wakin' up feeling doomed
Thinking to myself I don't have enough spoons

People in my family don't believe my joints are damaged
You know I can't stand it how they take their life for granted
Sometimes I feel it's torture but still I gotta fight it
Can't let my life be controlled by arthritis 
To be honest, I'm not exactly positive how this song made me feel. The message is mostly positive - about being strong enough to overcome all the negative aspects of RA - but something about the music and mood made me feel a little bit sad. 

In any event, I do think music is a really interesting avenue towards awareness that I never thought about before.

No comments: